Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Blueberry Muffins (high protein, low carb)

Due to the dreaded sweet tooth I have to include some "treats" into my diet to remain sane - well trick my mind into thinking I am having treats. I found a way about a year ago to increase my protein intake whilst also getting my "sugar" kick. To use protein powders to bake with, I have tried a huge different variety - whey, hemp, pea, casein and all work best with different products. 

My initial concern with heating protein was that it may become less nutritious - however after reading around the subject I believe that although heating is likely to denature and therefore change the chemical structure of the protein it does not mean it is no longer nutritious. It simply means that the protein may have changed slightly and that change may be temporary or minimal.

So today's baking venture was Blueberry Muffins and I have to admit, they are AMAZING. (and I don't particularly like blueberries!)

Macros per muffin: 130kcals, 14.5g protein, 0.43g net carbohydrates, 5g fat

Serves 8:

Ø  100g Whey Protein
Ø  55g Quark
Ø  55g Reduced fat spread
Ø  10g Ground Almonds
Ø  5g Stevia
Ø  2 Eggs
Ø  1g Baking powder
Ø  120ml cool water
Ø  30 Blueberries

1.       In a mixing bowl add quark, reduced fat spread and stevia and combine until forms an even consistency.
2.       Add eggs and beat well until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps
3.       Mix together dry ingredients – whey protein, ground almonds, stevia and baking powder and add this to the wet mixture. Combine well.
4.       Slowly add the water until a running mixture forms
N.B.: Whey protein powder needs to be rehydrated prior to cooking, otherwise a brick like texture will form.
5.       Leave in the fridge for at least 60 minutes
6.       Preheat over to 180oC and line a muffin tray with 8 muffin cases
7.    Pour into the cake cases and bake for approximately 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment