Thursday, 23 August 2012

Thursday 23rd August 2012



Today I met the reigning champion of S.E. NABBA (senior male) . I was one of the only three pupils studying the Level 4 Diploma in Obesity and Diabetes Management and it just so happened that experienced body builder Paul Ehren was taking the same course. So obviously I had to ask him a few honest questions about my new venture.

Paul has been competing for 12 years, he also has his own gym in Essex thats primary focus is on health. He would not consider training someone for contest without them having their bloods taken first, this allows him to provide bespoke training and nutrition advice along with establishing whether any pharmaceuticals they may have tried in the past have caused any long term damage.

 It became evident within the first five minutes of meeting him that this man has not only vast knowledge about his sport but also a quite overwhelming amount of passion. The conversation we had about females in the bodybuilding industry was frank and honest, which I appreciated.

From our discussion and researching the subject it is obvious that I want to compete in fitness category due to the extreme lengths that physique competitors go to increase lean muscle mass and reduce body fat. The long term effects of some pharmaceuticals used to achieve that category of figure can be irreversibly damaging both mentally and physically.

It is scary the lengths that some people will go to in order to achieve their desired look. There are obviously those that use banned methods but there are also many who don’t and see it as a challenge. It is easy to see how obsessive this industry is, however looking at the broader picture I believe that it is about balance. I am lucky that I simply cannot let this overtake my life, I have a 3 year old to look after, a full time degree to do alongside my personal training and studio instructing.

I don’t expect to be winning trophies, I’m just up for the challenge. Standing on stage is a scary thought right now, let alone standing on stage in a line up of gorgeous women in nothing but a bikini!

Food diary: 

08.00: Whey refresh (Reflex 40g protein, 0g CHO)
11.30: Protein muffin (@ 130kcal, 14.5g protein)

WORKOUT 1

14.00: Protein shake
15.30: Protein shake, 12 almonds
18.30: Handful raisins

WORKOUT 2

21.30: 3 X grilled chicken drumbsticks, 3 x small protein bread slices, mustard, spinach
22.00: Protein carrot cake

Workout 1 Shoulder blast
(1.15-1.45)

Cable pulley upright row:
Warm up

Dumbbell shoulder press:
12 x 10kgs x 1, 10 x 12.5kg x 3

Dumbbell raise:
8 x 8kgs x 4

Frontal raise:
8 x 6kg x 2

Standing power shoulder press:
10 x 8kgs x 1, 10 x 10kgs x 2

Single arm dumbbell raise:
8 x 10kg x 2 each side

Slow 180o raise:
8 x 5kg x 3 each side

Workout 2 - cardio 
(5.30-6.15)

7km run on treadmill
75 press up
10 minute abs

Paul tested my body fat today and it remains at 14%. I have been advised not to go below this until i start cutting so will try to remain at 14% until February.

No comments:

Post a Comment