Common ingredients in these such products include the hugely questioned and sometimes banned substance 1,3 Dimethylamylamine. This is a powerful natural stimulant which acts as a norepinephrine releasing agent meaning that commonly feelings of increased energy and focus are noticed. Sometimes elation is also noted (which happened to me the FIRST time I took this) which could be because it may stimulates dopamine (happy hormone) release. However the after effects of this can be unpleasant, depression, extreme fatigue and irritability have been noted.
The well known caffeine is almost always included in these such supplements. This again is a natural stimulant that increase energy and focus which in turn may increase strength and power. But with your average cup of coffee containing about 100mg of caffeine, this amount is increase by 50% in just one serving of a pre workout stimulant. The side effects can vary but although the amount of caffeine has not be revealed in USP Laps Jack3D the two times I have taken this it has given me a left sided ache directly behind the eye - which also happens when I drink too much coffee implying that this pre workout supplement is extremely high in caffeine. A study performed by Nancy University in France commented that:
"The only likely mechanism of action of the methylxanthine is the antagonism at the level of adenosine receptors. Caffeine increases energy metabolism throughout the brain but decreases at the same time cerebral blood flow, inducing a relative brain hypoperfusion. Caffeine activates noradrenaline neurons and seems to affect the local release of dopamine. Many of the alerting effects of caffeine may be related to the action of the methylxanthine on serotonin neurons."
It also concluded that caffiene has a negative effect on anxiety and sleep which is person dependent depending on their sensitivity to methylxanthine.
Creatine is a common ingredient in many pre training supplements - normally in the monohydrate form. There are many arguments surrounding creatine - but in my opinion it is safe to use and assists in muscular strength and endurance.
Beta Alanine is a naturally occurring amino acid which when taken increase intramuscular carnosine production which in turn increases muscular endurance and stimulates greater muscular growth.
Finally another common ingredient used is Alpha Keto-glutarate which acts as a vasodilator meaning more blood flow and therefore oxygen and nutrients to the muscles. This means the muscles can not only increase in power and endurance but it also improved recovery rates.
Along side Jack 3D I have tried two other products - well so I thought - after closer inspection I realized that they are exactly the same product provided by two companies at two very different prices.
Feel Free Nutrition's Extreme Training Boost at £0.42 per serving describes itself as
"The Ingredients of Extreme Training Boost have been carefully blended to give the most intense shirt-ripping power, concentration and strength you have ever experienced!
This Product will give you the drive, the will, and the energy to smash through your goals in every training session" http://www.feelfreenutrition.com/products.php?product=Extreme-Training-Boost-%252d-500-grams
Jst Jodie's Rage 212 Extreme at £0.80 per serving describes itself as.
"JST Jodie® RAGE212 has been carefully blended to give the most intense shirt-ripping power, concentration and strength you’ve ever experienced. This product will give you the drive, the will, and the energy to smash through your goals in every training session." http://www.jstjodie.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207&products_id=162
As well as identical descriptions, they both have identical properties: So I was a bit shocked at the 100% price increase just because of the branding.
| TYPICAL ANALYSIS: |
|
|---|
I think there is definitely a place for pre-workout supplements if used safely in moderation. As shown above it is defiantly worth doing research and shopping around before opening up your wallet. Personally the side effects can be too extreme for me so I think I will try to stick with a traditional black coffee prior to my intensive workouts if I feel the need for a BUZZ with the occasional dip into the pre-workout supplement world when things get tough!



No comments:
Post a Comment