Monday, 20 August 2012

Welcome ...


Over the past few years I have raised a few eyebrows about some the decisions I have made. Having a baby at 18, getting a breast augmentation at 19, studying for a degree as a ’single teenage mum’, taking my two year old son to rural Ghana for two months, to name just a few of my ‘controversial’ life choices; and now I have made another decision that is sure to give rise to further criticism and judgement but hopefully it will challenge a few stigmas. 

I am going to compete as a body builder.

Why? Well, like many of us I have battled with my body image. Despite gaining top marks at school, having a large group of friends, a supportive family, no concerns over getting a date if desired and following a healthy eating and exercise regime, there has always been a niggle of unsatisfaction with my figure.  Over the past five years my body has been on a rollercoaster ride, I have pushed it to its limits tipping the scales at under six stones, putting it through a pregnancy, breastfeeding , running a marathon 5 months after giving birth and loosing 20% of my body weight whilst in Africa. It has only been in the past six months that I have accepted and started to “like” my body. It is what I have been given I want to make the best of it.

                   Size 4 in 2007       Pregnant in 2008         Running in 2009         Curvier in 2010           Africa in 2011             Confident in 2012

Along with this I am ready for a new physical and mental challenge. I have been a county gymnast champion, represented the South East as a junior athlete and cycled and ran long distances for charity.  I am ready to use the skills and knowledge I have gained from studying a degree in Dietetics along with those I have learnt from my career in personal training and studio instruction.

I will however admit that my brief insight into the world of body building from a few training sessions alongside Adam Read, BFF champion 2007 was scary and intimidating. I am a complete and utter novice in this area. Although I have a good idea of training methods ad nutrition, I have no idea how to pose, and after researching into  the safest way to increase muscle size and decrease body fat  there are so many opinions and scientific studies that contradict each other out there I feel slightly blinded by where to begin.


Adam Read, Natural BodyBuilder

So I am going to do it MY WAY, practically applying my own experience and knowledge with the advice from trusted acquaintances and research that is valid. I will trial different training methods and experiment with different sports supplements until I find something that works for me. I need results good enough so I have the confidence to get on stage next April in a figure/fitness contest.

Luckily I am in ‘ok’ shape to begin with. I am an average size 8, 32-24-32, with 14% body fat.  I train 6 days a week – always a combination of free weights and resistance machines. I dislike cardio and embarrassingly only manage to do this when teaching a high impact studio class. I think this stems from all the training I did for the marathons and long distance cycling I have done in the past. There is considerable room for improvement in my diet, I only manage two meals a day and these are usually large to catch up on calories. I also have a sweet tooth (or two), but luckily I am a keen cook and use protein powders to bake with to make some yummy and healthy puddings. I am a bit of a carb phobic after following a ketogenic diet as a training experiment, however I have starting re-adding these into my diet over the past couple of weeks, with no adverse effects (yet!).

So the purpose of this blog is to keep track of my journey to the stage, to note down both my training and eating, to see where I go wrong and of course where I go right, along with the sweat, blood and tears (of which I am sure there will be a few) shed throughout my body building journey.

Any comments, advice or support will be gratefully received!

Rachel x


No comments:

Post a Comment