Thursday, 27 December 2012

Thursday 27th December 2012

"Now and then it's good to pause in the pursuit of happiness and just be happy"


I missed a couple of blogs over Christmas as I thought it best to turn my full attention to spending quality time with my amazing family and friends who have supported me through thick and thin. So from Christmas Eve I turned off my phone - no emails, no texts, no social networks - just the special people in my life.

 A few people questioned me on my "bodybuilding adventure" and I don't think they really understood it initially but after explaining my passion behind it - to improve not only my health but my body confidence and to challenge myself beyond my limits - I think that they "got", that only a tiny part of it is to do with 'looks' and the rest is self improvement, self efficacy. I have found that the determination and focus I have developed in the gym I can transfer to other situations too.


My nan suffers peripheral neuropathy, meaning she has no feeling in her fingers and toes - she is registered disabled and its really heartbreaking to see. My mum had to work when I was little so my nan cared for me a alot of the time - the term "the son becomes the father to man" seems applicable to this situation. It has made me realise even more that the reason why I train and how I train my clients is for optimal health, specific goals are obviously vitally important but physical and mental well being is the most important benefit of physical activity.  
I managed a workout on Christmas eve - it was at a small gym but I performed a half decent leg workout. There is no point me trying to real off my food diary over Christmas day or Boxing day as it would take a long time, mainly chocolate naughties! Some people asked if I felt guilty and were shocked when I said not at all, I enjoyed every second. I don't think anything you enjoy you should feel guilty about.


I have 15 weeks prior to Miami Pro worlds and started cutting today. Its going to be a bit of a trial and error situation - but initially I am doing a ratio of 40:40:20 protein:fat:carbs - I found that over the past couple of months I have put quite a bit of fat on with the carbs so the only way to get rid of it is to reduce them. I am going to keep them in pre and post workout to help prevent any muscle catabolism. 

I am going to consume on average 1650kcal/day split into macros of: 165g protein, 73g fat, 83g carbohydrates, an example meal plan would be:

1. 3 x eggs, spinach
2.Chicken breast, 100g green beans, 100g tinned tomatoes
3. 120g tuna, 25g almonds, green leaves
4.Pre Workout: banana, protein shake
5. Post workout: banana, protein shake
6. Chicken breast, green leaves, beetroot. 125g quark, 25g almonds, 100g berries, protein shake
7. Casein shake 

As my food intake is reducing it is more important now to ensure I get enough micronutrients, two small bananas daily will ensure enough potassium, however just to be safe I will continue to take a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D, zinc, magnesium and omega 3,6 and 9 as well as colostrum powder. I will also add in a fibre powder (I am using Super Veg) to ensure my gut stays healthy - there is also some evidence to suggest the sulphar in some of the vegetables contained within Superveg can assist with estrogen regulation and reduce fat stored on the hips/butt.

Todays workout was gentle (only 2 days off the gym but ALOT of food) - unfortunately the gym is hired out by a rugby team so the weights area is often booked out so I have to adapt my exercises.

Shoulder Supersets
Seated dumbell raise 6kg db --> cable upright row 18.75kg
12 --> 12 x 8sets

Machine shoulder press 20kg --> single arm frontal raise 7kg dbs
12 --> 24 x 8

Cable abdominal crunch 
28kg x 20 x 5

Cable kick backs
6.25kg x 20 x 4

10 minutes bike


1 comment:

  1. Great Rachel! Thank you for this inspirational blog. Keep strong and motivated, continue to be an example for others, and go for it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete