Friday, 30 November 2012

Technogym Interview


How to keep going even when it gets hard

Posted in Interviews by Joanie No Comments 
Rachel trainingWhen the going gets tough, what do you do? Whenever you think you’ve got too much on your plate to handle, think again.
We’ve been inspired by Rachel Anne Hobbs, an award-winning personal trainer who served as a trainer at the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics gym with Technogym. Rachel successfully juggles her own business with full-time study, conditioning herself for a number of bikini and fitness competitions next year AND raising a 4-year-old son!
Rachel often finds it hard to cope but finds motivation in her son, her passion for fitness and her joy in her work. Read on to find out how she overcomes challenges to stay on track with her wellness goals, despite all the commitments in her life.
Tell us a little about yourself – how did you get into fitness and health?
I have been very sporting since a young age. I was the county champion of gymnastics at a junior level and represented Sussex county in junior rugby and athletics. The next logical step was to go into fitness instruction and studio teaching which I loved. After having my son at 18 I qualified as a Level 3 personal trainer and set up Zest for Fitness to help people find health and happiness through exercise and the right nutrition.
Rachel - GhanaI took my love of health and fitness to Ghana last summer where, together with my son, I spent 2 months with orphans, educating them academically as well as teaching them about health. I set up a football academy and taught Ghanaian females how to lead their communities in music-led exercise to help prevent the rise of obesity and diabetes.
Health and fitness is my passion and I truly believe that movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional and mental state. I’ve just completed my Level 4 specialist training in Obesity and Diabetes and will qualify as a Dietitian in June 2013 after studying for 4 years at the University of Surrey – which I’m excited about!
What made you decide to enter yourself for bikini and fitness contests next year?
I believe personal goals are important for everyone to push themselves towards. Aiming to compete at bikini and fitness contests next year gives me focus and something to aim for. I’ve run marathons and cycled in long distance bike rides so this is something a bit different.
I also wanted to do it to try and abolish the typical view of “bodybuilding”. It’s not about being self-obsessed or vain as many people imagine. It certainly takes dedication but it’s about health and confidence, and achieving one’s goals. I’m not doing it to win a prize. I want to stand on stage next year and feel confident about my body, and know that all my hard work has paid off.
How do you juggle the demands of training on your time – given you’re also working, studying and raising your son?
Rachel at the London 2012 gymIt is a bit of a struggle. Most people said that I was mad to commit to competing as well as raising my son single-handedly, working as a personal trainer, teaching studio classes, leading the Exercise To Music (ETM) course with Premier Training to train studio instructors, and doing a full-time degree. But I see the gym as my ‘playground’. It is where I have fun and relax, and the 45 minutes I spend there is time that I take out of the day for ME! When it gets nearer to the contest I know the preparation work will get harder and more time-consuming. But where there is a will, there is a way!
What are the food principles you’re living by right now? How do you keep cravings for less healthy food at bay?
At the moment I am trying to gain some lean muscle, so I make sure I eat every four hours and consume an appropriate balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Due to my hectic lifestyle, I’ve found Reflex Nutrition supplements to be a great help in ensuring that my energy requirements are met. In the 3 months prior to the contest my diet will change dramatically. I’ll be using a process called carbohydrate cycling to ensure my body primarily uses fat for fuel, but still consume enough energy-producing foods for training, working and studying.
What’s your philosophy towards health and exercise?
I believe exercise has the potential to positively change lives, not only physically, but psychologically. It promotes self-mastery, confidence and happiness.
On a tough day, what is it that keeps you going?
My biggest motivation is my son. When I made the choice to have him, I made the choice to dedicate the rest of my life to ensuring his happiness. On a tough day, seeing him happy keeps me motivated. I’m also very lucky to be working in an industry I love and am passionate about and where I’ve met so many amazing, inspiring people. I genuinely wouldn’t change a thing about what I’m doing now.
Rachel portrait
What advice would you give people to help them stay motivated?
Never give up! With hard work, passion and determination, anything is possible. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice. This is especially true in the health and fitness industry, where people are very compassionate and are always happy to offer help and support in any way they can.
http://www.technogym.com/blog/en/2012/11/english-how-to-keep-going-even-when-it-gets-hard/

No comments:

Post a Comment