Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Lets all eat bread....


Bread is one of those forbidden food items for many fitness geeks - whether it be due the high carbohydrate content or the gluten in the ingredients - personally its a combination of both factors why I don't include it. I don't enjoy it or the after feeling.

Bread was my main pregnancy craving. I gave up chocolate which 
was my saving grace for not becoming a heffalump! 
Thankfully I just had a bump and didn't gain weight elsewhere.

During pregnancy my cravings were for french sticks and fudge (fortunately not together) and since then I have never enjoyed bread. HOWEVER including "bread" in the diet does make meals easier - toast at breakfast, a sandwich at lunch and pizza for dinner - so I came up with a recipe that is HIGH PROTEIN, LOW CARB and GLUTEN FREE and easily used as a bread replacement.

Makes 10 slices

100g Hemp Protein
50g Egg Whites Powder
10g Superveg
10g Oat bran
400ml cool water

Can add:
Coconut oil to increase kcal
Nut butter to increase kcal and protein
Garlic
Herbs
Seasonings
Dried chillies
Sundried tomatoes


1. Pre-heat over to 180oC and line loaf tin with baking parchment

2. Place hemp protein in a bowl and add a small amount of water to form a smooth texture.

3. . Rehydrate egg whites powder placing them in a shaker with water until a lump free liquid is form, add this to the hemp protein mixture

4.. Rehydrate the superveg powder using the same method as the egg whites and add to bowl

5. Add Oat bran and slowing add in remaining water. NB. The mixture will now be a liquid (greenish in colour and not overly attractive - but wait till you smell it cooking - amazing!)

6. Cook for 20-25 minutes and cool on wire racks. Can toast and add nut butters, or put your favourite sandwich fillings inside. To use as pizza base, use baking tray to shape.

Macros: 90kcal, 16.1g Protein, 2.1g Net carbohydrates, 0.4g fat

No comments:

Post a Comment